Who do I contact if there is a problem on the water?

The OPP wants to hear from residents who witness dangerous and illegal activities.

ALL emergency calls should be directed to 911


The OPP is also asking residents to call its non-emergency line 1-888-310-1122 to report non-emergency activities that include recurrences of excessive noise and speed so that resources can be allocated to tackle the problem.

People calling 911 or the toll-free line should gather as much information as possible by taking detailed notes or video. Useful information includes boat registration number, colour, make, model, time, frequency and location of incident.


What are the rules about mufflers?

Driving an unmuffled boat with pipes venting exhaust above the waterline directly from the engine with no muffler, or bypassing the muffler, is illegal on Muskoka area lakes.

Outboard and inboard/outboard engines comply with the law when they exhaust through the propeller hub under water.

Loud isn’t illegal, but muffler bypassing on our lakes is. If you feel a boat is violating the law you can report it to the OPP. Try to report the registration number and location.


What are the rules on boat speed?

There is no speed limit in open water but within 30 metres of shore the limit is 9 km/hr on the Muskoka lakes.

This speed limit is designed to minimize the risk to people in or on the water near shore, reduce wake damage and minimize noise disturbance.